There are many different ways to eat an eggplant, but one of my favourites is definitely this Lighter Eggplant Parmesan dish. Just eggplant, marinara and cheese on top, what else to wish for?!
If you never heard of eggplant parmesan before, it is simple breaded fried eggplant with cheese and sauce topped just before baking. This is a low carb version made in the oven, suitable for those who follow some low carb diets. It takes some time to prepare, but it is way better and healthier than the deep fried version. I learned this recipe from my mother, who always used to prepare it this way, so it looks like a lasagne and melts in your mouth with every bite.
Eggplant is full of fibre, and its skin is edible, too, full with antioxidants. That’s why it can be used in so many different ways. If you get any leftovers, you can easily heat them up in the microwave, and they will be as delicious as the first day.
This dish can be prepared day before, just tightly wrap it in the foil and keep in the fridge until ready to use. You can also freeze it the same way for up to 3 months.
PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 1 hr 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 30 mins
2 pounds eggplant, 1 large or 2 medium
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
12 ounces part-skim ricotta
1 large egg
4 cups homemade tomato sauce or jarred marinara 2-1/2 cups part-skim mozzarella
olive oil spray
- It would be the best to start by making the sauce if you don’t have any.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spray two sheet pans with oil.
- Cut the eggplant into ¼ thick slices, and transfer them to prepared baking sheets. Season with salt to your taste. Bake for 20 minutes until it gets golden colour on each side, keep in mind to turn it over halfway.
- On the other side, while eggplant is baking, mix ricotta, parsley, ¼ cup of grated cheese and egg in a medium bowl.
- Add half of the cup of the previously made sauce on the bottom of the 9×12 inch baking sheet. Cover it with 1/3 of the eggplant. Top it with the prepared ricotta cheese mixture, ¾ cup of mozzarella and ¾ cup of sauce.
- Add one more layer of eggplant, the layers of ricotta cheese, mozzarella and sauce on top and repeat one more time. Use third layer of mozzarella for that cheesy topping. Finish it with the remaining 2 tablespoons of grated cheese, mozzarella and one and a half cup of sauce. After that, cover with foil.
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until cheese melts and everything is bubbling.
- After 40 minutes, remove the foil and bake opened for about 10 more minutes.
- When finished, take out of the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy your super delicious supper!
Calories: 255.5kcal, Carbohydrates: 18.5g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 12.5g, Saturated Fat: 6.5g, Cholesterol: 59.5mg, Sodium: 809mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 9.5g