If you are looking for a healthy chicken dinner, then you are at the right place. These roasted chicken tights and legs together with caramelized sweet potatoes make a perfect one-pot dinner.
Sweet potatoes are used in many different dishes, but one of the best options is pairing them with chicken and seasoned spices over the mixed green vegetables, sliced apples and maybe some blue cheese to your taste.
With the fall in the air, everyone is looking for some nice, tasty, warm dishes at home with season spices like turmeric and ginger to add up some colour and scents to the whole fall atmosphere. This recipe can also be adjusted for those following the WHOLE30 diet.
TIPS FOR ROASTED CHICKEN
- If you want low carb dinner, you can remove the skin from the chicken. It is evenly tasteful in both the ways, with or without skin.
- Use your preferred chicken pieces. Someone loves drumsticks and thighs (like me!) and someone is more of a “chicken breast person”.
- If you are not so into sweet potatoes, you can change them for butternut squash or regular chopped potatoes. Either way you make it, it will turn out just as great.
- When working with spices like turmeric, it can make your hands pretty much yellow, which can’t be so easily washed, so the best is to use gloves.
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 1 hr
TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 15 mins
4 skinless chicken drumsticks, on the bone (or whatever piece of chicken you prefer)
4 skinless chicken thighs, on the bone
2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
2 sweet potatoes or yams, peeled, sliced 1-inch thick and quartered (14 oz) juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup white wine, (swap for chicken broth for whole30/paleo) 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground turmeric, divided
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon Herbs De Provence or poultry seasoning
2 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Mix the potatoes and shallots in a bowl, and add garlic, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of salt, ginger and olive oil. When well combined, toss the mixture in an even layer in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In the other bowl, add chicken and season it with the remaining teaspoons of turmeric and salt. Sprinkle the lemon juice and Herbs De Provence until well coated.
- Put the chicken pieces over the vegetables in the baking dish.
Spoon any leftovers of the marinade over the chicken and vegetables, and pour the wine around the sides.
- Roast for 45 minutes covered with foil, and then uncover it, turn over the chicken and vegetables and finish roasting uncovered for about 15 minutes, until chicken is delicate and tender with nice golden colour, and vegetables soft.
- Before serving, spoon the sauce over the chicken to soak in and enjoy your delicious meal!
NUTRITION INFORMATION :
Serving: 2pieces chicken, 1/2 sweet potato
Calories: 516kcal, Carbohydrates: 28g, Protein: 55.5g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 249mg, Sodium: 857mg, Fiber: 3.5g, Sugar: 5.5g