Whether you are looking for a side dish or a healthy snack, this roasted delicata squash recipe with its crisp edges and delicious parmesan topping makes a real cat’s whisker.
Now is the real time to take advantage of all those vegetables available only in the early Fall, and delicata squash is one of them. With its thin edible skin, it is way delicious than acorn and butternut squash, and it can be easily prepared without peeling and carving like the rest of winter squashes. Being served as a side dish or chopped into the salads, it is a real winner.
When it comes to cooking delicate squash, simply cut it in the half or half-moons and remove seeds. Toss with some olive oil and roast for 25-30 minutes at 425°F. You can also make a stuffed version, just put whatever you like inside the cut half and roast it until soft. The possibilities are many.
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 25 mins
TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
You can also use acorn squash instead of delicata for this recipe. Try to leave it in the oven until the edges are crisp with nice golden colour. You will be amazed with the taste.
1 delicata squash, about 14 oz, washed and dried
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put the baking paper over the baking sheet and sprinkle some oil over it.
- Slice the squash into ¼-inch thick slices lengthwise and remove any seeds.
- Put slices into bowl and add garlic, salt and pepper, and sprinkle the olive oil. Toss the mixture until slices are well coated.
- In the other bowl mix parmesan, lemon zest, thyme and parsley.
- Transfer the slices onto the baking sheet, and pour the mixture with parmesan over the slices.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until it gets nice brownish colour on the edges and soft texture.
Serving: 1/2 squash
Calories: 232kcal, Carbohydrates: 30.5g, Protein: 7.5g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 383mg, Fiber: 9g, Sugar: 0.1g